There are some things I get asked about regularly, and convenient snacks is by far one of the most popular questions that comes up. We all need to snack sometimes, but it can be hard to know what to choose that’s going to satisfy your taste buds, but also take care of that hunger.
Throw our busy lives into the mix and it can make our choices even more limited. The result? We get overwhelmed and default to that bag of chips or some pretzels, which sure taste good, but, if you’re anything like I am, won’t do a whole lot to nip hunger in the bud.
So what do we eat?
The Power of Protein
This makes *such* a big difference for me. I know we’re all different, but if there’s one theme I hear among my clients when it comes to food, it’s how satisfying protein feels in their bellies.
Why? Protein is super anchoring and grounding. It releases satiety hormones leaving you feeling, well, satisfied, plus, it takes longer to digest, so it sticks with you a little longer.
If I go for things like pretzels, fruit, or carrots with hummus when I’m hungry, I feel like I can eat and eat and never feel these things hit the spot. OR, if I do get to the full point, it ends up taking a lot of these types of foods to get me there.
Hence the fact that I can eat an entire basket of tortilla chips and barely feel like I’ve eaten anything!
BUT, throw in some hardboiled eggs, peanut butter, or cheese and I’m GOOOOOD! So, here are a few of my favorite snacks that I’d love to share with you.
- Peanut butter and banana or apple. You can even keep some Justin’s squeeze packs on hand to make it even more convenient for you.
- KIND Bars– My favorite is the salted dark chocolate. Mmmmm. And UBER convenient. I keep one in my purse and in my car at all times. Perfect in a pinch.
- Wonderful Almonds– So let me just tell you that I used to think eating almonds when you were hungry was an absolutely joke. They felt like the ultimate diet food to me. HOWEVER, I was starving one time and these were the only snack available and let me tell you, I was a changed woman. They are awesome and they genuinely satisfied me hunger. I literally ate them almost everyday for the next couple of months.
- Kashi Go Lean + handful of nuts– A serving of this cereal has 12 grams of protein! Not to mention 13 grams of fiber, which is fantastic for cleaning you out. I started mixing these two when I was looking for a hearty snack, and it was one of my smartest ideas. You can even make a big bag of this stuff and just take a handful or two at a time
- Baby Bell cheese with crackers and fruit– Cheese is a great source of protein and when you pair it with some crackers and a little fruit- YUM!
- Hardboiled eggs– No joke, I keep these suckers on hand 24/7. Eat them by themselves or throw in a handful crackers or strawberries if you need something to round them out.
- Toast with a big smear of peanut butter (or almond butter, if that’s your jam)- this is my go to (try this stuff)! Y’all, it doesn’t get any better than a slice of toast covered in peanut butter (the drippier the better).
And of course, you can just screw the protein and break yourself off a hunk of dark chocolate, which, if you know me well, you know that I keep some my purse at all times- no joke. And this stuff is by far my favorite brand.
There you have it, friends. If you’ve got some favorites I’d love to know about them. And if you’d like more guidance and help with snacking let’s get together 🙂