I wasn’t really sure what to call this because it’s a combination between baked oatmeal and banana bread, so I’m going to settle on this. I wanted to make something new for breakfast that would hold me over, so I whipped this tasty number up by combining a recipe I found for protein bars with a bunch of ripe bananas I didn’t want to go to waste. I’m not gonna lie, I surprised myself by how good it was and no joke, I’ve made this four times in the past month.
Like most of the things I bake, I tend to throw a bunch of ingredients in a bowl and cross my fingers, so I had to go back and figure out measurements, but even still, nothing’s precise. That said, these bad boys are dense, moist, and delicious and because I added protein powder, they get me at least three hours, if not more.
Chocolate Banana Oatmeal Squares
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 1.5 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 cup vanilla plant protein (this one is my favorite)
- 1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips (I also just chopped up a bar of dark chocolate)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter- feel free to use almond butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp each baking soda and powder
- Preheat oven to 375 d F.
- I like to mix wet and then add the dry, but mix as you’d like; you can’t screw it up.
- Pour into a sprayed 9×9 baking dish and pop in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool or else the middle will be super gooey, which also means super awesome, but if that’s not what you’re going for, wait at least an hour.
I’m not known for my dainty appetite so I cut into 4 and eat a whole square at a time, but eat what feels good in your belly.
I keep these in the fridge and warm in the microwave for 30 seconds in the morning. Mmmmmm